About the designer

My photo
Houston, Texas, United States
I'm a self taught jewelry designer who decided to make this more than just a hobby! I've been making jewelry the last 6 years mostly for friends and people in the west coast swing dance community, where I teach and compete. While I have a day job, it's mostly to pay for my jewelry and dance habits! I primarily work with sterling silver, freshwater pearls, semiprecious stones and swarovski crystals. But I'll use anything that catches my eye and I love to try new techniques!

Friday, July 30, 2010

An Introduction!

Inspired by my friend LindyStamper, and encouraged by my hubby (or rather very emphatically gave his opinion), here I am starting the official blog of Michelle Summer Designs Jewelry.  Here goes nothing!  :-)

So an introduction.  I started randomly making jewelry about 6-7 years ago when I discovered that I could not find any  bracelets that fit me at a retail store unless they were for little girls.  As a 29 year old professional, the thought of wearing little pink ponies and kittens around my wrist wasn't quite what I had in mind.  I dug out a small stash of beads and beading findings that my friend had given me a few years back and decided to give it a try.  I ended up making a necklace and earrings as well.

Next thing I knew people were complimenting me on my jewelry and asking me where I had got it.  I was terribly proud to say, I made it myself!  and lo and behold, they wanted me to make them a set too!

And a business was born.

 I've kept things pretty low key for the most part.  At first it was just selling to friends.  Then a friend of mine who owns a salon asked me to put some of my wares at her shop for her customers.  Then I started doing vendor booths both on my own and with another creative friend at local west coast swing dance conventions.  and now it's time for the next step.

A website and facebook page is on the way soon and of course this, here blog thing!  I hope for good things to come!  Don't worry, I'll even post pictures!  :-)

2 comments: